Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Fur Heels D.I.Y.

I was finally able to put together a quick and easy D.I.Y. for you. Some may wonder why write about something so "easy", but not everyone sees this as an easy task. So I am here to show you how to turn some old heels into new ones. This project only cost around $10 and took 15 minutes. 

You can literally create cool heels on the way out to an event in a matter of minutes. Also in my opinion they look a bit more expensive than some I have seen out and about lately.




Lets start off with the easiest one, adding fur to some simple open toed sandals. 

 

Materials needed: 

1. Sandals/Heels
2. Hot glue gun
 3. Fur boa (Joann's Fabric)
4. Scissors


I first lined the boa across the front to make sure it wasn't too thick and where to lay it. 

Then I put a small driblet of hot glue at the tip of the boa, and applied it to the very edge of the heel strap. 

Let dry. then applied glue to the middle section of the strap, and repeating the step for the other end of the strap.

 You can apply as much glue needed. Be careful because the glue is hot, also try not to get glue on the top side of the boa.


I cut the remaining boa off, once it was glued to the other end of the shoe. I wanted the fur to cover the entire strap, so underneath you will have excess fur.

 I used the tip of my scissors to trim the fur from the bottom and again across the strap to tone down the look.


Viola.

Now for my now new favorite heels. 


I love these bubble gum pink Steve Madden's, but they are a bit old and sometimes a bit too bright to wear. So I felt the purple fur would tone down the look and make it more fun. A Sophia Webster look, which as you know my favorite shoe designer.

The materials remain the same, I just switched out the color of the boa. I purchased both at Joann Fabrics for $6 each. I also used them to make my beanies. They are great quality and very soft. 


To make the ball shape I just folded the tip of the boa to the side. I wasn't sure how big I wanted the ball to be, so this was a great measurement for me. I wanted the ball relatively small, so I just folded it over.

I added a driblet of hot glue to the tip, folded the tip over to the side of the boa, and let cool. 

I then cut off the remaining boa. 

Before gluing the ball, I made sure it was the correct size and where to place.


I then added glue to the fur ball and placed it close to the edge of the heel, leaving the point still visible. Then let the glue cool.


 I also trimmed some of the fur from the ball, once applied to the shoe, then repeated the steps for the other shoe. Since the heels are patent leather, I probably will add a stronger glue, on top of the hot glue.


Viola!

The finished  products.



I know this was a very simple D.I.Y. and I promise more complex ones down the road. I love the way they turned out, especially the pink ones. I can't wait to wear them out. Perfect for the season. 

What do you think of them?

Let me know if you have any questions or any other D.I.Y. ideas for the future. 



4 comments:

  1. I think it's a great DIY! I hadn't thought of it and sometimes the easier the better. If it's too complicated who is really going to spend the time to recreate it.
    Melissa
    Mahogany Closet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, but sometimes I see D.I.Y. challenges with 18 materials that takes all day lol, so I need to meet in the middle. Thanks girl!

      Delete
  2. Never thought about this before but I might try these out on shoes I'm bored with. I love how the pink pair came out, it definitely looks more expensive now.

    Princess Audu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yes, you should always look to see how to make old things look new before donating or throwing away.

      Delete