Monday, February 23, 2015

Black History Month x Black Theater x Black Panther

This is the last week of Black History Month and I want to go out with a bang by paying homage to a few legends and what I call my Black Panther Look. Between the tear jerker performance last night by Common and John Legend, I've been a bit on edge this morning. 

Congrats are in order to Common and John Legend on their Oscar win last night. If you missed their performance last night, watch it below.




I am wearing was an inspired look created from a friend Nicole. She creates Polyvore looks on IG for inspiration here. I instantly knew this was the look I wanted to wear to capture in front of this African-American mural. The mural is painted at the Black Trope Theater, located in Phoenix, AZ. 

The mural has many legends painted across it and Harriet Tubman stood out to me the most. 



The theater hold many plays and musicals for the culture. A positive place for the younger generation to go to for after school events as well.

 As we still continue to deal with negativity in our society, we must focus on the positive as much as possible. We still deal with racism everyday, but we can't forget the things we have achieved and the the opportunities we have as a whole. 


We also have to keep in mind and remain cautious about putting our own people down. That is a major issue in the community, that I hope one day can be turned around. Please make sure to educate your children, nieces, nephews, and be a positive role model for them. 

I also recently experienced a bit of ignorant comments and issues over the weekend that just makes me embarrassed at time for my own people. I don't want to get too deep, but it starts with us.

It starts with the children. I know this is getting serious, but it is truly important that we protect the young minds as much as possible. Hug them at night and tell them you love them. 



In fashion news, this entire look was thrifted except the hat, belt, and sunglasses. The total cost was $20. Another example that you don't have to spend money to look like it. Just saying...

The Glory performance below:


"You don't have to be a man to fight for freedom. All you have to do is to be an intelligent human being." - Malcolm X

You are the sum total of everything you've ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot - it's all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive. - Maya Angelou

 “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” - U.S. President Barack Obama

4 comments:

  1. This look is everything! Nicole page is amazing, after seeing your outfit inspiration I followed her and have already been inspired by her sets. It's important to know our history so as to know where we are going.

    Princess Audu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Girl yes, we have to stop sometimes and think about where we came from every once in awhile, Happy you started following Nicole's page and mine, I love connecting with new inspirations!

      Delete
  2. Traciiii!
    I saw this on your Insta and was like GIRL...
    Thank you for the homage too, I feel even as black people, we often only celebrate the beginning of BHM and peter out towards the end.
    So kudos kudos kudos for taking us out with a bang :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete