Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Nars vs Mac - Breakout Rant

It’s been a long time since I wrote anything about beauty products, but I recently had a breakthrough moment. I am not a beauty guru at all. In fact I think less is more and I am really simple when it comes to a full face look. I consider a full face lip stick, mascara, and blush. I also despise eye shadows, I think because I have a small pallet to work with, every time I get involved I look like a clown.

As an adult woman, I feel we need to upgrade certain things in our life. Investing in certain products and everyday beauty needs. Foundation for me was one of them. I never felt I needed foundation, but it does complete the look. Whenever I did use foundation it was just for going out or special occasions. I always used drug store foundation, which didn’t last long or just looked cheap.


My mom used Mary Kay all of her life, but who wants to order shit from catalogs? So I went where every woman went, MAC right? People swear by MAC and it is everywhere, a trend at best. Makeup gurus, celebrities, they mama, they grand mamma. I didn’t do any research at all, thinking if it matches and felt than anything Walgreen's sells me, I was good. 

MAC has been around for so long and it is rare that you hear anything bad about them. They have great products, professional products, for an affordable price. They have a ton of shades and formulas to choose and helpful sale reps to help you test each one.

I used MAC foundation for over two years now. I noticed throughout the years that my face was breaking out, even more than normal. I always have a small normal monthly hormonal breakout, but it doesn’t last long and goes away. The new breakouts were not going away and getting larger as the months passed by. 

They were also leaving hyper pigmentation marks and black heads started appearing. I didn’t understand what was happening and thought I was going through another form of puberty. I found myself having to use foundation, instead of wanting to.

April 13th, 2015

The dermatologist prescribed me pills, lotions, and toners. All kinds of expensive shit. I even decided to go makeup free for about 6 months, except for events. It subsided, but didn’t make much of a difference. The fact that I have events several times a month didn’t help. I bought all kinds of facials scrubs, creams, and washes. Until my friend told me to just leave it alone, let my face heal itself.

It also didn’t occur to me that the foundation was the actual cause of my breakouts. I just thought that makeup was a contributing factor and to get rid of it as a whole. 

I decided to Google and go to YouTube about home remedies for hormonal breakouts. I saw some things pop up about MAC causing breakouts. Usually I thought someone was just misinformed or had extremely sensitive skin. Then I found a list of consumer complaints about MAC causing breakouts or skin issues. It made sense though. I never had breakouts that heavy before, not even puberty. It all happened after using MAC. My facial routine didn’t change, climate, or diet. 

I noticed a lot of the people switched from MAC to Nars, so I decided to try it out. I went to Sephora and they used a computerized system to match me with my skin tone. I tried on three and right away I noticed a difference. 


Although Mac is a nice buttery/creamy foundation and last long, it was very heavy. Since I never really compared, I thought most foundations were consistent. Nars foundation was so light, but still gave me the same coverage as MAC. Actually even better coverage with less foundation. It felt like I wasn’t even wearing makeup. 

The 30 day water intake challenge that I completed in April, cleared up my skin completely. It took about two weeks for my face to clear from previous abuse. I purchased the Nars All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation and a concealer. When the foundation sets, it has a glow that gives you a summer kiss. The foundation was $10 more than MAC, but Sephora has a great return policy. 

I used the Nars almost every day to test out my theory, even before my skin cleared up. The real test was in Vegas, where I am in makeup all day and sleeping in it from drunk nights. I probably spent only 30 minutes makeup free, in-between showers and changing, for 3 days straight. I just knew my face would break out.  I also used some on a friend of mine, who breaks out if you look at her funny. Nothing! Not a pimple in sight.

I only used sensitive make up removal wipes to wash my face, twice a day. 

Second night in Vegas, All day in Nars Foundation before washing off.
I patiently waited for my skin to break out during my monthly hormonal stint. Only one pimple and it was gone. I am in love with this foundation. I love the glow it gives my skin, how long it last, and how I can feel my skin breathing. I have had many compliments on my skin since. I still have a few war scars that are fading, but who knew that water and a foundation switch could fix my months and almost a year of suffering. 

I should have taken real before and after pictures, but I honestly didn't think my skin would clear. Especially not that fast, but you can still see the difference.

Last Sunday, break out free

I love how I only use two pumps and it is almost too much. I love the way the concealer is even light. I am three months in and still no break outs. I drink just as much water as I did before the water challenge and still nothing. I know this is long as hell, but it has been on my mind for a long time. After my experience with MAC, many people claim the same skin issues. I want to make sure people understand and know. 

This also isn’t a MAC bashing party. I love MAC! Their foundation just isn’t for me. But you can’t keep me from their lipsticks. MAC in my opinion has the best lipsticks. They have the most colors and that shit last for 3 days if you let it. I went day drinking, night drinking, drunk sleeping, and woke up with my shit still intact. I’ll get more into that another day. I also still use my MAC loose powder to set my Nars foundation.


Moral of the store, buy the foundation that is best for your skin and start with the basics. I could've saved a lot of money and time if I just stuck to the simple life hacks. I wash my face with a Garnier Cream cleanser, that doesn't have any acne medicine, once a week. Also drink that water boo!

Two months into Nars, no break outs!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow I didn't know MAC was causing you breakouts. Your skin cleared up nicely, great post! I love Nars, you should def try their lipsticks, they're my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I haven't tried Nars lip products, I will try them soon

      Delete
  2. Lucky u , I ahev stubborn acne on my cheeks that won't go any wher . It was a lot, started very tiny spits then big bumps but started leaving but some are still here. Still looking for the cause, just might be the Mac as well.

    www.simplyuneeke.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl that is how mine started, you should leave the Mac alone for a week or two and see if you can spot a difference, It took my breakouts two weeks to go away after drinking lots of water and just not scrubbing my face with harsh chemicals

      Delete
  3. actually, the nars foundation made me breakout horrendously as it has an acne triggering ingredient!

    ReplyDelete