Monday, August 4, 2014

D.I.Y. - Black and White Stripe Clutch

I finally get to share with you guys my second D.I.Y. project with you fashionistas. Black and white stripes is a classic print being used more and more on the runways. Although you can find a decent black and white stripe clutch in stores, I thought it would be fun to try to make one of my own.

I am the type of person who has the best ideas in my mind, but when I try to paint, draw, or glue them together, they don't always come out the best. This project was actually very easy and I am pretty pleased with the results.





Items needed: 

1. Solid black clutch; I purchased mine some time ago at I believe H&M. I love this clutch the way it is, but I have a few more like it. 
2. Painters Tape
3. Foam Brush
4. Craft Paint
5. E6000
6. A large hardware for the middle of your clutch. 

I started off with a gold starfish, that I ended up not using at the end. Instead I purchased a cabinet drawer handle at the hardware store and spray painting it gold, which you will see in the end.


Start off by placing the painters tape side by side from the front to the back of the clutch. This ensures that the stripes on the back of the clutch match the front. Remove every other tape strip to create even stripes shown above. You can also measure the width of each line, if you want them thicker than the width of the painters tape.

Apply a bit of pressure to each piece of tape to ensure the paint does not bleed through.


Using the foam brush, paint the exposed sections of  the clutch in thin layers. Repeat until the black is no longer exposed through the white paint, while allowing to dry between each layer.

Once dry, repeat the steps on the back of the clutch.

When you have completed painting the front and back of the clutch, remove the painters tape. You may have to touch up any bleeding with a damp cloth or a fine painters brush.


The drawer handle I purchased from the hardware store was silver. I used a metallic gold spray paint to evenly coat all sides. Once dry I used the E6000 glue on both ends of the handle, to secure on the purse. Allow the glue to dry a few hours before use.

 Before:


After:


I am happy with my results. Again I am not as crafty as some may think, but I love to try new things and it cost less than $10. I hope you guys attempt this D.I.Y. project in the future. If so, please tag me or share your results. I would love to see your final looks.

Until next time...Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment