Friday, August 7, 2015

Artist Spotlight - Tonyin Odutola

I know you are tired of me saying it is hot here and thinking "you live in the desert..." blah blah, but it is. It is very very hard to provide great photos and outfits when you have an extreme heat advisory for the past 3 days. The highest temperatures reaching 116.

 I tried my hardest to provide looks this week, but it just didn't happen. I cannot wait for it to cool down again. I already planned several looks to capture early morning tomorrow and serve them on a platter for you all. 

In the mean time, lets get into some dope ass art. I truly believe this next artist is better than any look I would've provided anyway. 

http://toyinodutola.com/

 
I first spotted Tonyin's work scrolling through my Tumblr dashboard. I just saw black men and women constructed into works of art. The colors and strokes she used to highlight our best features were impeccable.



Then I found out that most of her work is created by chalk and ballpoint pens. 





That just made me look at her work even more. I can barely write a complete sentence without screwing up and scribbling shit, let alone draw a 3 dimensional box that we all learned in 5th grade. 



To be able to create masterpieces with a ball point pen is phenomenal. She is hands down my new favorite artist.


Tonyin Odutola is a Nigerian artist who received her BA at the University of Alabama. She then received her MFA from California College of Arts. 



She has had exhibitions all over the country and a few international showings. 



What I love most about her work is that she captures the issues that black people face across the globe. She focuses on the melanin and is very detailed about it. 



From our hair to her cheeks.



I would love to own one of her prints one day. 


To see and learn more go to http://toyinodutola.com. I swear find the dopest artist on Tumblr and I advise everyone to get one. 

What do you think of this artist?

No comments:

Post a Comment