Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pumps & Paint - B.Y.O.B

This Friday I was able to finally attend the Phoenix First Friday art walk. I have lived in Phoenix for over six years and heard so many great things about the downtown art walk event, held each first Friday of the month. 

I heard about a few painting classes held and I ended up finding the perfect class for me. Rejected Thrifts host classes where you bring in old shoes that you want to revamp. You can paint them, glitter them, anything that you desire to make them seem new again. You can drink loads of wine while doing it! This was the perfect class for me and an excuse to drink glasses of wine outside of my home.

I won't lie, I was expecting a large class setting with boring white walls that have arts and crafts hanging up like elementary school. It was the complete opposite!





When we first walked in the studio there was a sign that said B.Y.O.B and I knew this was the place for me...HA! I loved how the class were held in an intimate small setting where I could paint and shop for fabulous thrifts from shoes to purses. I purchased a few clothing items that I plan to get altered and share them with you soon.


I brought in newer like heels that were probably $10 and sat in the bottom of a rubber maid bin waiting to be dropped off at my local goodwill. 


The owner and instructor Ebony, provides the paint and all of the supplies that you need to create the perfect shoe. You can also bring in your own supplies that you want to use, I brought in fringe and a few stencils. We sipped our wine and just jumped in with few ideas. Ebony was very inspirational and allowed us to be ourselves in our designs. How amazing!


I think of myself as a creative person in the mind, but not always when I put it on paper. After a few glasses of wine, Ebony had to assist me in the end with perfecting my dots without judgement.


Voila! The end result of our creations. The shoes actually turned out better than expected with the wine and amateur in us, but I loved the end result.


 The fabulous instructor and owner of Rejected Thrifts Ebony on the left. My Beautiful best friend on the right Brittny.


 We stopped at an amazing restaurant called Hanny's, located in downtown phoenix for more drinks and food. The food was amazing, there was a DJ and a full bar. The atmosphere was very intimate and provided a lot of character. They have two levels with a hidden intimate bar and seating on the second level.


 Our table was right next to this amazing art piece. I loved it!

Hat: H&M (Similar here); Skirt: Peter Pilotto for Target (Sold Out); Glasses: Charlotte Ronson for Vogue
My look with my newly revamped heels.
 Overall I had an amazing experience, met new people, and got a taste of some Phoenix culture. I definitely recommend checking out Rejected Thrifts for her store and weekly art classes. Or check  for some wine and painting classes in your local area.

Thank you Ebony for allowing me to participate in your class and I will see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment