Friday, May 30, 2014

Life - Sisterhood

 What is sisterhood?

Sisterhood is loyalty, trust, caring, fighting...so many things. Or it could be what you make it. You can throw the phrase "BFF" in there, but that is a label for many female associates you meet throughout your lifetime. 

We met in 9th grade or was it 10th? A boy who we both liked, tricked us into thinking we were both the girl for him. Ahhh high school love right? I am getting side tracked, but we both found out about each other and history was then made.


The not so mean girls who wore black blouses on Fridays, because that was "dress up" day. Her curfew was a hour before mine, which forced me to go home to sulk and text her on my Nokia minute phone. Ten cents a text, with only $1 left, was worth the gossip we shared. She was Prom Queen and I was Homecoming court.

We had a lot of our first together. First loves, first real punishments, first jobs, first party. The first person I called in the bathroom when my pregnancy test changed to positive...twice. We know our deepest secrets and our weaknesses. We tell each other the truth, even if we hate to hear it. The type of friendship where you can just walk into their house without knocking or calling. 

We fight, we laugh, and know what the other is thinking before speaking it. Our children became our adopted kids...this is sounding like a marriage right? Well sisterhood, in my opinion, is something like a marriage. Sisters are committed to each other and even when days, months, or even years go by, when reunited, it doesn't seem like a moment was missed. 

We have had a few arguments. I will be honest I was upset with my sister before I wrote this and I believe she felt it. To the point that I thought about never talking to her again. Silly right? But that is what sisters do. Each time I am upset, she just brushes me off, as if I am some kind of crazy person who knows I will forget about it the next day. If I had a $1 for every time I said I would not talk to her again, I would have about $18.

Well my sister just received her Masters Degree on May 17th, 2014. She is also a mother who had to work, plus intern, and go to school. She was always a smart woman. Since I have known her she was  always able to keep a 4.0 and stayed focus on her goals. I always wondered how she did it, yet still found time to support me. 

Then I think about when I sat in the crowd waiting for her to walk across the stage, I was the only none family member there for her. It reminded me that I am not a "friend", I am family.

I usually don't share too much of my personal thoughts or my private life, however I wanted to share my sister and her accomplishments. I wanted to brag about everything she is to me. There aren't many people who have siblings that even compare to what my friend has given me. 

When we get old, I know she will be right there by my side to fake our senile outburst on our great grandchildren.

What is sisterhood?






My sister Loria Racquel Jackson!

Congrats!

No comments:

Post a Comment