Thursday, November 5, 2015

HM X Balmain - 5 Reasons I Didn't Participate



I wrote this article two weeks ago, but decided not to post it because I didn't want to seem like a Debbie downer. After seeing multiple videos of females fighting over some damn polyester at H&M, I chose to share this article.

I will admit I was really excited about the whole Balmain and H&M collaboration, until I saw the official collection photos. Then I stumbled across the prices and thinking wtf. As much as I love collaborations, they are quite disappointing at times. I believe that this collaboration is one of the times I will not participate in for a few reasons. 

1. Quality 

Listen, I know I can’t expect the greatest quality, especially coming from H&M. They offer low prices and mid-grade quality clothing. Most of their shit is made from polyester and rayon, but they stay on trend and it’s a step up from Forever 21. 


From looking at the photos from the collection, most of the items looked like they wouldn’t make it past one stop at the dry cleaners. The fact is Balmain is a luxury brand with luxury fabric. The reason Oliver is able to provide such detail to his clothing is because they use the best. 


Now imagine Balmain trying to create the same details and structure, using polyester. I am only assuming, I won’t know until I can spot the collection. This jacket is screaming itchy at best.

2. Price

 First of all, the entire collection is overpriced. I know that Oliver needs to get his coins, but I really think everyone forgot that this is H&M. He did mention that he didn't want to downgrade the brand for this collaboration. H&M is known for its low prices and fast fashion. So, when they do a collaboration, they have to keep in mind who their audience is. 

I know I am already cheap, but the prices range from $40 to $800. You’re thinking “That’s not a bad price range”, until you find out the $40 is for a small velvet makeup bag. 


Once you pass up all the high priced knick knacks, you start getting into the actual clothing that starts at $90 for a blouse. Then jumps to $150 for a pair of pants and dress. Then everything else is $350 and up. Blazers, shirts, shoes, accessories. I just want to know, will the quality match the price?

3. Saturation

 I know that everyone and their mama would be standing in line for the collaboration, but it will be an eye sore on Instagram. My eyes are already rolling in the back of my head for every nude, green, and white matching outfits that I see on these females. 


Now imagine them all wearing these Balmain pieces. I think that is why I stress so much about putting together looks. I am trying my best to not wear the same thing that Kima, Keisha, and Pam have. 

I get it, we are our own people and wear it the way you would, etc. This isn’t going to be the case for this collection. This is probably the best collaboration since Lanvin and H&M. I just don’t know if I want to spend $400 on a blazer that every 5th person will have. Especially if it isn’t a staple piece.  

4. Staple Pieces

 Which brings me to my next point about staple pieces. If you don’t have BeyoncĂ© money, why are you spending $400 on a H&M polyester blazer that will be frowned upon by March?


I know that we set our own avenues, but aesthetic for this collection will wear off as soon as you go home and check your bank account. It might stick around long enough for a night out. At this point if you don’t plan on reselling the items on EBay, then I would spend my $400 on a Armani blazer or a Ralph Lauren bag. 


Or ask yourself, how many times can you wear this piece and to where?

5. Men’s Collection

 The good side about this collaboration is that the men’s collection looks better than the women’s. Especially in quality. They have more staple pieces and cheaper. Of course because men are not going to be the ones standing in line and fighting over blazers.. 

If you plan to attend the zoo show of shopping, then I suggest going in the direction of the men’s department. That is my personal advice. 


This is not an article to bash Balmain or H&M. Balmain is my top 5 fashion houses, but I also think the money spent won’t be worth it, in this collection. I cannot say for sure until I personally see the clothing articles, but looking at the photos, I am not really moved.

Some of the pieces are beautiful, I won't lie. Just not as beautiful as my bank account and sanity.

Did you shop the collection?


Images: Google

5 comments:

  1. This right here sums up my view on things: "...Or ask yourself, how many times can you wear this piece and to where?"
    The 'to WHERE??" PART pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me.

    Like, where all yall going looking like this?
    Don't try and act like you have an event every fucking night.
    You're not Kimmy K. You not even Kylie.
    And Fashion Week is over boo so WHERE YOU GOING IN ALL DIS???

    And like you, I'm not trying to throw shade or hate because if I want, I buy it. But i'm not attracted to clothing because of the brand. And I'm definitely not attracted to getting pushed and shoved and yelled at in a store like I'm a goddamn wrestler.

    Or being stuck online because the freaking page won't load. This isn't the Obama Care Healthconnector? Why the fuck can't you get your website going? You really trying to say you can't handle this traffic??

    Bitch please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! Most of the items weren't functional pieces for the price and I am not standing in an over night line for anything but a check!

      Delete
  2. EXACTLY MY OPINION
    You put into words my every thought about this whole collaboration. The madness of yesterday at HM stores was ridiculous...I would understand (although stay away from) some fighting or 5 hour queues for some Balmain quality clothes, but this is HM clothes with Balmain's name on it. I just don't get it.
    Honestly, I would have bought something if I had the money, because the items are beautiful, but it was just too expensive for clothes that you will be able to wear once before the hype passess on to something else.
    And I don't even want to think about the craziest ones, those who buy on re-sells...prices are over 1000$ and people are actually buying. I respect that everybody uses their money as they wish, but they could be buying actual Balmain for those prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know H&M sold items for more than $100, I would hope that if someone spent $400 on piece of clothing that the quality would be awesome! I remember the days when H&M was cheap but the quality was still better than forever 21. Times have changed, smh

    Http://lbsabotage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know H&M sold items for more than $100, I would hope that if someone spent $400 on piece of clothing that the quality would be awesome! I remember the days when H&M was cheap but the quality was still better than forever 21. Times have changed, smh

    Http://lbsabotage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete